Summer season is just a month away. Plan ahead and book that flight for your next getaway. Here are three (3) reasons why you should consider Mactan Island as your next destination this summer.
1. History. Mactan Island is rich in stories about the country.
- Geography. It is located a few kilometers from Cebu Island in the Philippines. The island is part of Cebu Province and it is divided into Lapu-lapu City and municipality of Cordova. Source: Wikipedia
- Historic Places and Events.
a. Lapu-Lapu Shrine. Also known as Mactan shrine, this stands as a reminder of Datu Lapu-Lapu’s bravery when he defeated Spanish soldiers and killed Portuguese explorer and aggressor Ferdinand Magellan.
b. Magellan Shrine. It is a large memorial tower believed to be the area where Magellan was killed on 1521.
c. Battleof Mactan. Yearly, a reenactment of the battle is held at the beach of Barangay Mactan as it features the Muslim King’s victory. The event is also called “Kadaungan sa Mactan” which literally means “Victory at Mactan”.
2. Tourist attraction. There are so many things you can do in the island.
- Water Sports. From snorkeling to scuba diving at the Hilutungan Island Marine Park, explore the underwater world and marvel on the spectacular marine sanctuary.
- Island Hopping. The vast diversity of islands to choose from is a dream-come-tru for adventurers and island hoppers alike. Hop from Pandanin Island, Nalusuan to Caohagan and Olango Islands.
- Resorts. Some of the best resorts in the Philippines may be found in Mactan Island. To name one, there's Abaca Boutique Resort and Restaurants which earned top honors on Trip Advisor's Travelers' Choice Awards 2013. Enjoy world-class accommodation facilities and service. Have the best dining experience and savor delicious food.
3. Ease of Transport. The second busiest airport in the country, Mactan-Cebu International Airport is also found on Mactan Island. So if you just came from conference in prestigious hotel in Makati or you only arrived from an out of town project briefing trip help in Davao, it's easy to travel to an fro Mactan Island.