Summer time is just around the corner and some people are already planning their vacation. With the Philippines being one mountainous country, backpackers and alike would certainly take pleasure in visiting over 80 spectacular mountains anywhere in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. If you are one of them, here is a quick reminder of the things you should know before you go hiking or camping here in the Philippines.
- Check the weather. Here in Philippines, we have PAGASA (Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration). What is PAG-ASA’s forecast?
- Research on your destination. Do they have an expert who can serve as your guide? Is it safe to trek there? Are there rescue teams available for emergencies? What are the alternate routes? Is there a river safe enough to be your drinking source if your supply runs out? Bring a map and compass in case you get lost.
- Plan your gear. Hiking is a very physical activity so it’s best to plan your gear wisely. Opt for comfortable footwear and outerwear.
- Come up with a checklist of “Things to Bring”. From the type of food you’ll eat to the amount of water you’ll carry. Pack everything extra: phone, battery, flashlight. Do not forget first aid! Knowledge is power so be aware beforehand of the dangers in the wild such as snakebites and others.
- Prep physically. Start with warm up exercises two weeks before the said event. Regular walk is a good initial exercise booster. If it’s your first time, try walking a month before until you reach at least three-fourths the length of the planned adventure. If you’ve done this before, jogging or running around your subdivision in the Philippines can help you be fit for the journey.
- Create an itinerary. For an overnight camping trip, creating an itinerary is a must to fully enjoy the experience. This will help you seize the moment and make the most out of each minute you’re on the peak. Review your pace so that timing on the IT will be accurate.
- And last but not the least, have a good time! Carry a camera and document memorable moments.