My Next LEC project - behind the scenes of the next Limited Edition Custom
It's official - The limited edition custom program is a resounding success.
Due to some creative marketing and some timely promo's I have sold so many LEC 2.0's that we are running out of major market areas and I really need to step up production of the next round of LEC's (There are a couple in development including a special "support Marc Rasmussen" LEC which I will finish as soon as I get a new data feed for it *cough Marc cough*
Anyways - as many of you remember, I did the development of LEC 2.0 publicly in my 'designing the next LEC" post and it was a lot of fun, so I have decided to do it again. So without further ado - let's get cracking on this next LEC.
Design & programming - your budget is 300 hours and you start immediately.
Where to get started? Hmmmm well here is something to consider - we do NOT have to re-invent the wheel with IDX this time as we are going to be using the framework developed during LEC 2.0 (With the classic vs thumbnail search results, refine search bar and tight details page) it doesn't mean we won't make tweaks, but at least this time you know where your baseline is.
Design at a glance-
- I would like to go three column with this one ALA our Real Source Atlanta website
- Web 2.0 footer is a given - our Austin Website is always a good example
- Featured listings module - you betcha - I kind of like the jquery tabs customization done on the LEC 2.0 in Mckinney Texas - don't want to copy it, but put it in the back of your mind, good use of space.
- Quick search - it will be there, but this is something that is key to this next design, so I want to save it for a more in depth discussion belo we certainly are not going to be doing the traditional "basic" quick search like one might see on our Buy Sarasota site.
- Colors - we need to be prepared to offer at least 2 versions (out of the box) for this next LEC - customers from previous versions expressed that they would have liked to have color options.
Programming at a glance-
- Control panel will be included in this LEC
- Streetview will also be included (where available regionally)
- REW 2.0 Blog (another given)
Design - header concept / idea
Ok so let's talk about this next design. Many years ago we did a design on a budget for my good friend Ed Kirkland as a second Destin Florida site as an alternative to his http://www.edkirkland.com - You can view the site here: http://www.destin-florida-real-estate.com (yeah yeah old school SEO URL I know, I didn't pick it) - Anyways, I have always been in love with the concept of the "search being the site" concept, and would have loved to have a 300 hour budget for this site (as opposed to a 50 hour budget like I did back then) and I think it's time that I bring the vision to completion. So REW Design team, there is your inspiration - however no task is ever as simple as "let's do another one like these ones" - our challenge is to come up with something that makes our customers customers "want" to bookmark, "want" to contact and "need" to share with their freinds and family.