Update - Google maps extension to November:
For those of you that do not know, Google is cancelling its map API "version 2" which is the version used on any REW websites running backends 4.1 or older. Originally this cancellation was to occur on May 19th, 2013 which left us almost no time in order to upgrade thousands of customers. You can read about the situation here:
The fix - you must upgrade to REW's 4.2 backend
Again, I have covered this in this post: http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/blogs/morgan-carey/27671/show/ and also included commentary / estimates for common upgrades.
I know November seems a long ways away, however please realize you must get your request to upgrade in early as there are over 10 thousand man hours potentially required to upgrade all REW users, and there is no guarantee we can get all of them done before the November deadline.
"What about 4.3? Can't I just wait for that and then upgrade so I don't have to do it twice?" A lot of people are asking me this, and my answer is DO NOT wait for 4.3!
Why, you ask? Because 4.3 beta will not be done until "at least" late June / early July. We then need time for testing and once tested, the installs will first be on LEC 2013's then on REW Summit users' sites and finally on a first come first served basis.
Just getting the LEC's done could push us to September, and then we would only be able to get started on the REW Summit people before the deadline - this would leave everyone who did not upgrade to 4.2 and waited for 4.3 with broken maps and many potential errors on their site for quite some time.
So again, I re-iterate, do not wait until 4.3 comes out - even if it comes out when we hope (and that is not guaranteed, as it is software and can have last minute issues) - you will likely not get your upgrade done in time.
Reasons to upgrade to 4.2 now:
#1: You will be covered on the maps issue, and have the latest technology
#2: Upgrading to 4.3 will be much faster, easier and less expensive if you already have 4.2
#3: If you upgrade now, you will be given priority over non upgraded users in the queue (because we can get yours done faster)
#4: There will be a discount offered to those already upgraded to 4.2 if they want to upgrade again to 4.3
#5: You might not even want / need 4.3 - chances are you will (because it's awesome) but 4.2 is a huge enhancement already over previous versions - social media registrations, who's online, all kinds of good stuff in there.
Some folks have said the only reason they never upgraded to 4.2 was because of the double opt-in for AOL etc. - we have a solution for this as well - we can hook your mail up to a third party service as part of your upgrade and you would not have to have the double opt-in, or we can put you on a special non-opt-in server.
Hopefully everyone upgrades ASAP so we don't have a huge backlog as we get closer to November - we will not be able to get everyone done if that happens, and we certainly don't want anyone to have non-functioning / partially functioning websites while they wait.
I welcome your comments / questions: