Default At what point do you pay the down payment?

Being that I have never purchased a home before I was curious as to when It Is exactly that you pay your down payment on the mortgage? Excuse my ingnorance and thank you for any help. Have a great day!

Default Re: At what point do you pay the down payment?

The down payment would be paid at the closing table after the purchase offer is accepted and inspections/contingencies have been straightened out.

If you are talking about an earnest deposit, that would accompany your purchase offer and, if the offer is accepted, goes into a 'trust' account for the duration of the transaction.
    Michael Krotchie - REALTORŪ - Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, NRT LLC
    6970 N. Oracle Road, Suite 100
    Tucson, AZ 85704
    520.404.4996 -- Mobile
    520.544.4545 -- Office

Tucson Real Estate | Tucson Real Estate Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Basikboy View Post
    Being that I have never purchased a home before I was curious as to when It Is exactly that you pay your down payment on the mortgage? Excuse my ingnorance and thank you for any help. Have a great day!
    did you mean deposit on the mortgage? if so, your lender will let you know, usually after an agreement has been reached.
    Bad Credit history not such a problem with mortgages:
    mortgages for people with bad credit, bad credit mortgage and IVA mortgage

In Plain English....

When you make an offer, you include a deposit. That is called "earnest money." If the seller accepts your offer, the check is cashed and those funds are held in trust. That's in the very beginning.

At the end, when you sign the myriads of documents just before you close, that is when you bring in the rest of the money -- the bulk of the money -- everything that it takes to close (down payment, closing costs, fees, etc. -- less the initial earnest money depost (because that is your money already held by the closing agent for you, in trust.
    Last edited by Homesurfer; 07-17-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    1) My second published story - Read it! One Soldier's Reason - If you like it, please tell others.

Terry Light - Professional Contrarian
    LloydDistrict.com - one man on foot in Portland, Oregon.
    Creator of RealEstate ABC & co-creator of HomeSurfer.com

If you have more questions about the process, I'd recommend speaking to your Realtor for clarification.

A 5 minute talk with them can clear up dozens of questions you may have.
    Jon Karlen
    Louisville Real Estate - Lake Forest Louisville KY Homes for Sale - Lexington Kentucky Real Estate
    Serving the Louisville KY metropolitan area including Jefferson County - Prospect Shelby County - Shelbyville Oldham County - Goshen, La Grange and the Lexington KY metropolitan area including Fayette County - Lexington Woodford County - Versailles Scott County - Georgetown Jessamine County - Nicholasville

Thank you. I actually met with a lender yesterday and I am In the process of getting pre approved. Thank you all for your help thus far. Have a great day!

At closing, but the mortgage broker or bank may ask for a 500 rate lock to pay for the appraisal
    My Sites Bellingham Real Estate http://www.bellingham-realestate.net | Seattle Real Estate http://www.kreick.com/