Page 2 of 2 First 12

Default Re: Do you play it safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason + Associates View Post
    I know, good luck.
    That comment could be considered as controversial in itself!
    Tampa Real Estate | Tampa Foreclosures | Tampa Real Estate Blog

Team Masse services the Tampa Bay Real Estate market as well as the following areas: Apollo Beach, Riverview, Ruskin, Brandon, Lithia, Valrico, Gibsonton, South Tampa, and Channelside District along with St Petersburg and Clearwater. Referals are always welcomed and given.

I tend to go out on the edge quite often, and sometimes it gets me in trouble. But I've found that if I write about issues from a place of authority, experience and conviction, it 1) generates more comments and discussion, 2) those article are read more, 3) I come across as a truth teller, a straight shooter rather than just another puff and fluff Realtor.

Writing about which flowers are best to plant along the walkway does nothing for my credibility, but writing about my last encounter with a bozo agent, the impact that had on the deal, and how I dealt with it is something that readers like to read about and which they can learn from.

It certainly stirs things up and even earned a call to my Broker from corp headquarters requesting that I take down the Bozo photo and tone down the article (which I reluctantly did, even though I feel censored).

I changed the subtitle from "Bozo Agent Blows Deal for Buyer" to "Well meaning Agent blows deal for Buyer"

We just received a lengthy letter from our company attorney last week warning of blog use, discussing the fact that the Texas Real Estate Commission considers all blog content advertising (therefore subject to advertising rules), so it's still largely an uncharted area.
    Austin TX Real Estate - Austin Real Estate Blog
    Austin Realtor Since 1990 Residential and Investment Sales

Play it safe is good, and writing about which flowers to place along a sidewalk is great material from someone who is selling and if you have information backed up by others that state 'red flowers' are more memorable then any other color or that mixed in large groups with bright yellow flowers your house will stick in potential buyers minds much longer then not planting flowers at all.

As a seller you can see that if a buyer sees 20 houses in a day, and yours is one they remember just because of the choices made in planting flowers along the sidewalk, then this is pretty relevant and important information. Of course if you say "I think planting some red flowers looks nice" then this might not convey the message you want to send nor makes you look like you have authoritative knowledge on selling homes.

Most controversial issues really don't involve buying or selling homes anyway
    Last edited by Pinehurst Real Estate Guy; 04-04-2008 at 06:05 AM.

I agree in concept with your comments, I just know that controversy drives traffic...that is why and how viral marketing works
    Tampa Real Estate | Tampa Foreclosures | Tampa Real Estate Blog

Team Masse services the Tampa Bay Real Estate market as well as the following areas: Apollo Beach, Riverview, Ruskin, Brandon, Lithia, Valrico, Gibsonton, South Tampa, and Channelside District along with St Petersburg and Clearwater. Referals are always welcomed and given.

Be real when you blog! You aren't doing it to just "sound good" and be someone you are not. State your opinion on the matter - afterall you are the professional that people are looking to for input. You will win some over - you will turn some off. But don't worry, the ones your turn off aren't calling you anyway! You really have nothing to lose - just go for it.
    Cheryl Marcum
    Phoenix Real Estate
    Scottsdale Real Estate
    Paradise Valley Real Estate
    602-717-9838 or 1-888-418-0106
    Russ Lyon Sotheby's International Realty
    7135 E Camelback Rd. Suite 360
    Scottsdale, AZ 85253

Page 2 of 2 First 12