Default Cold & warm Shell

Dear All,

I'm a new entrant to the RE market and was wanting to understand the term Build to suit & what is the specifications for a Cold Shell/warm shell

Default Re: Cold & warm Shell

Cold Shell: basically an empty building with an unfinished interior

Warm Shell: an empty building - that usually has with Air Conditioning, Lighting, Walls, Ceiling, and Flooring.
    Jon Karlen
    Louisville Real Estate - Lake Forest Louisville KY Homes for Sale - Lexington Kentucky Real Estate
    Serving the Louisville KY metropolitan area including Jefferson County - Prospect Shelby County - Shelbyville Oldham County - Goshen, La Grange and the Lexington KY metropolitan area including Fayette County - Lexington Woodford County - Versailles Scott County - Georgetown Jessamine County - Nicholasville

Thanks Malok, that was informative, however do you by any chance have a list of specifications for both types (COLD & WARM Shell)

Theres lots of sub-terms (and equivalent terms).

Gray shell. Base Shell. Vanilla. etc etc

Its really just more of the same IMO.

It really probably boils down to the local custom for your particular area as to what specifications apply to each.
    Jon Karlen
    Louisville Real Estate - Lake Forest Louisville KY Homes for Sale - Lexington Kentucky Real Estate
    Serving the Louisville KY metropolitan area including Jefferson County - Prospect Shelby County - Shelbyville Oldham County - Goshen, La Grange and the Lexington KY metropolitan area including Fayette County - Lexington Woodford County - Versailles Scott County - Georgetown Jessamine County - Nicholasville

Interesting - I've been in real estate for 25 years and have never heard the term warm or cold shell. We obviously don't use it in my area.

"Built to suit" means building a property to the specifications of the buyer - a custom home.
    Money Magazine says that Orland Park real estate is one of the best places to live in the U.S. Check out Homer Glen homes if you're interested in living in the newest Chicago suburb. Next door, Lemont homes are the priciest in the southwest suburbs and have held their value, even appreciating while prices in other areas have gone down.

The local customs for how things work makes a big difference. [Its one of the reasons you want a local real estate professional to help you with the process.]

Sort of like the term "closing escrow".

Out west, everyone understands what it means.

Whereas, where I'm at, that term would just cause a lot of confusion for most persons - as they would think it has something to do with someone taking the Deposit check that the buyer had made.

[And before you west coast persons ask: we just use the term "closing". An escrow is what you place the deposit into. And we don't use escrow companies, we use closing attorneys.]
    Last edited by Malok; 05-15-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    Jon Karlen

Yes, that was always a term I didn't understand for the longest time (before networking like we do now). In my area we use attorneys to close at a title company.
    Money Magazine says that Orland Park real estate is one of the best places to live in the U.S. Check out Homer Glen homes if you're interested in living in the newest Chicago suburb. Next door, Lemont homes are the priciest in the southwest suburbs and have held their value, even appreciating while prices in other areas have gone down.

A cold shell is one under the snow. A warm shell is one on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chapman View Post
    A cold shell is one under the snow. A warm shell is one on the beach.
    Hah! Good one, Sam.
    Jon Karlen

Quote Originally Posted by judyo View Post
    Interesting - I've been in real estate for 25 years and have never heard the term warm or cold shell. We obviously don't use it in my area.

"Built to suit" means building a property to the specifications of the buyer - a custom home.
    Those terms are for Commercial Real Estate. Same License...Different Ball Game. Don't try to play in that league unless you want to get burned or you take a number of classes specifically addressing the commercial sector. The stakes are very high in that game. Not for the faint of heart. For Example. A listing in the commercial market can set you back about $20k to $50k. You need to know a lot of inside information, you have to do a lot of behind the scenes detective work. Your Listing Package (not the presentation, the actual listing) could easily consist of 1000's of pages.
    Larry Jensen, Principal Broker
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Red"]St. Lawrence Properties, LLC[/COLOR][/FONT]
    (203) 883.0883
    www.SLPNYCT.com
    Real Estate & Property Management
    My Blog: St. Lawrence Properties Blog