Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Default Re: Do you capitalize "real estate"?

Great observation. When I first started writing real estate content I always used caps. Not sure why, it just happened.
    Recession! What Recession?

Yupi, if it's used as a noun then it should be capitalized. Other than that, use the lower case and be consistent in using it.

Quote Originally Posted by jen.bas View Post
    if it's used as a noun then it should be capitalized
    This is technically wrong - however, as many people have stated in this thread, grammatical precision may be less important in your marketing materials than "what looks good".

Personally, I think that it doesn't look good to capitalize it. Obviously there are times when it is appropriate, like in a company name or heading. But when you capitalize it in a sentence, like "I have worked in Real Estate for 20 years", it is simply wrong and makes you look less educated IMO.

Another related error is to capitalize "real estate agent". Job titles are not capitalized (unless they're included in a personal title like "President Obama"). Realtors are already suspected by cynical consumers of being charlatans who try to over-emphasize their own importance, so capitalizing their own job description is quite possibly a bad PR move.

Gerry always good to get your informed opinion. Thanks and Happy New Year. Now since that is a holiday I can get away with capitalizing that right?
    Santa Cruz Beach Homes || Carmel Real Estate | Aptos Beach Homes Santa Cruz is a vibrant community, located on the north end of Monterey Bay, and is home to artisans, beach goers, hi tech types, and college students. There is plenty of natural beauty from the ocean side coastal towns to the little mountain communities to Carmel and Pebble Beach Golf estates. Let my 30 years of local knowledge and 25+ years of real estate help you find the right home or property in the Monterey Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggRio View Post
    Thanks and Happy New Year. Now since that is a holiday I can get away with capitalizing that right?
    Aye, holidays are "proper nouns".

Depends on where I use it. If its to promote XYZ Real Estate in a link or so then sure, otherwise not.
    Survive the Global Crisis eBook
    100s of practical tips to survive!
    [SIZE="2"]Now also available on Amazon[/SIZE]

@Realtors are already suspected by cynical consumers of being charlatans who try to over-emphasize their own importance, so capitalizing their own job description is quite possibly a bad PR move.

Thats funny and so true. Wonder how we evolved to that level. I do tend to capitalize real estate many times when it inappropriate....lots of fixing to do.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=4]Susan Zanzonico[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=blue]Morristown NJ Real Estate[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Chatham NJ Real Estate[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Summit NJ Real Estate[/COLOR]
    Weichert, Realtors
    Morris, Union and Essex County NJ Real Estate

Something interesting has come up in this thread - the idea that it might be appropriate to capitalize the words in links' anchor text.

In a way, it can't be said that this defies the traditional laws of grammar, since those laws were established long before hypertext.

When we link to another page and our anchor text is relevant, it is serving as a kind of title for the destination page - so it shouldn't seem too "off" for the anchor text to be capitalized.

Bringing it back to Tracy's original point, though: If "Simpsonville Real Estate" is the only arbitrary capitalization on your page/document, then you will probably be forgiven even by someone as uptight as I am. Tracy's well-veiled outburst was probably in response to the more grievous situation, where the real estate agent writes like this:

We would love to show you around the Real Estate Listings in our Favourite Neighbourhoods. Just contact any of our Real Estate Agents and we'll impose our Marketing Plan on you and make you read our Testimonials...

I capitalize it when its attached to a destination (i.e. Monroe New York Real Estate) but only if it's being used as a title. If I were to write it in an article it would be Monroe New York real estate.
    Joshua Ferris, Associate RE Broker
    Keller Williams Realty
    1-888-218-8468

Only in print advertising...when writing for the web, never!

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last