Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Default Re: Do you capitalize "real estate"?

It totally depend on situation if its good then go for it

Quote Originally Posted by jessiesc View Post
    Actually, it depends on the usage:

If I use the phrase as a noun or for emphasis, I capitalize it. Granted I take a whole phrase to be a noun as opposed to one word!

If I use it to describe as an adjective, I lower case it.

Not being an english major I'm sure my first usage above is incorrect however, it's also in our business name so I can get away with it
    Dido on both points; the fact that I think that it is grammatically correct, and the fact that I am almost certain that I probably have no clue about "grammatically correct"

I capatilize it all the time in order to give it more value. I'm a Real Estate Agent. just like Doctor is caplital and Lawyer and Mortgage Broker and Electrical Engineer. Im not a real estate agent. Real Estate also looks a lot better when it's capital.
    Halifax Real Estate is one of the best investments you can make and homes in Halifax are what Exit Realty Nova Scotia sells!

Just remember that doctor isn't capitalized, except when it's part of a name, like Doctor Kevorkian. Same with lawyer, electrical engineer, president, etc.

(With all due respect,) capitalizing it "to give it more value" is the kind of thing that real estate agents are often criticized for. If I were a real estate agent, I would be concerned about what seems to be a crisis in the public's perception of real estate agents.
    Last edited by Gerry; 05-15-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: corrected "ral estate agents"

Quote Originally Posted by seogerry View Post
    Just remember that doctor isn't capitalized, except when it's part of a name, like Doctor Kevorkian. Same with lawyer, electrical engineer, president, etc.

(With all due respect,) capitalizing it "to give it more value" is the kind of thing that real estate agents are often criticized for. If I were a real estate agent, I would be concerned about what seems to be a crisis in the public's perception of real estate agents.
    We are very concerned about the public's perception of our value and I think that sellers would rather be paying a "Real Estate Agent" than a "real estate agent" on the closing day. I see where you are coming from though.
    Halifax Real Estate is one of the best investments you can make and homes in Halifax are what Exit Realty Nova Scotia sells!

Real Estate looks better than real estate, so I capitalize. But as others have said it depends on the usage.

I think it looks better capitalized as well. I don't believe capitalizing Real Estate would be something the public would regard us badly for....just my opinion.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=4]Susan Zanzonico[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=blue]Morristown NJ Real Estate[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Chatham NJ Real Estate[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=blue]Summit NJ Real Estate[/COLOR]
    Weichert, Realtors
    Morris, Union and Essex County NJ Real Estate

Quote Originally Posted by scottiegrace View Post
    We are very concerned about the public's perception of our value and I think that sellers would rather be paying a "Real Estate Agent" than a "real estate agent" on the closing day. I see where you are coming from though.
    When you put it like that it needs to be "Real Estate Agent"

Though it is grammatical error but the term ‘Real Estate’ is capitalize in general just to draw the attention of readers towards their main business. Presence of such type of mistakes has become insignificance now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by shubh View Post
    Presence of such type of mistakes has become insignificance now a days.
    I guess it depends on who your reader is.

Most people won't notice, and many others won't care - but I would argue that there are enough critical literates in your markets (who view this as more than a mere typo - they see it as cheesy self-aggrandizement) that the benefits of adhering to English language standards in this case outweigh the dubious benefits of capitalizing the job title.

Just my (strong) opinion.

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last