Default house style for resell

I'm looking to purchase a house, knowing that in 2 or 3 years I'll sell it and build a house. Should I look for 1 style instead of another (ranch, bi-level, etc.)

thanks,
    Kathy

Default Re: house style for resell

what area are you looking in, maybe we have a realtor member servicing that market who will best be able to advise on the local trend.
    Have you liked REW yet? Want good karma? Share REW with friends

I'm in Pueblo, Colorado

Lightbulb Re: house style for resell

I agree with Webmaster, that you should check with a local agent... But I have found in general that,

3 Bed, 2 Bath is the universal price/resale point. Most families are looking for this size. Some like 4 bedroom or more, but then you're looking at higher prices, and that means harder to sell. Everyone wants a master bath.

Ranchers sell to older folks, because they can't take the stairs too well. If that is your target, make sure there aren't a lot of stairs to get into the house as well.

Colonial sells faster than contemporary. "Wierd" shaped houses are neat to look at, but they don't sell as fast.

Newer homes and features sell faster then "old time charm". We always put in jetted tubs and flat-top stoves in our properties. If you want to see what's attracting buyers today, tour a "model" home in a new development.

Anything else that extends the life of the home is attractive... 30 year archetectural shingles, if installed properly (and not on top of another layer of shingles) add lots of value, but only if you use them as a selling point.

Also, save up a few thousand dollars to "spruce up" the place when you're ready to leave. Paint and carpet work wonders, but around here that sets me back about $5k. You can get it cheaper if you paint yourself, but that's time consuming. If the padding is good, you can save there too, but not a whole lot. If you try to be TOO cheap here and shampoo the carpet and wipe the walls, people will be able to tell, and you'll get less (and lower) offers.

Anything else? Look around at Agent's websites and check the "How to sell your house" Articles.

or, you can look for a block 2/1 home with a garage......enclose the garage to make a master suite....then add a nice carport. That way you can buy a house for 2/1 value, then sell it for 3/2 value