Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Parcel lines now appear in Google Maps for many areas

Google has acquired a huge amount of GIS parcel data and beginning in early October 2009 has begun displaying parcel lines on Google maps. You can see what this looks like on this Google map I produced for a listing near Spokane. After this map appears, then zoom in one step and the parcel lines will appear. See Google GIS parcel lines.

The Google GIS parcel lines do not appear if you change to satellite or terrain view.

Also, the Google GIS parcel lines are obviously a bit ‘off’ from the true property lines. This discrepancy is typical of GIS data. Sometimes it’s more, sometimes it’s less. The red highlighted property lines that my service (MappingSupport) added to the map by geo-coding the legal description are much closer to the true lines.

I checked some (not all) of the counties in Washington. Google maps is now displaying parcel lines for these counties: Clallam, Jefferson, Kittitas, Okanogan, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, Spokane, Stevens, Whatcom. Google is not displaying parcel lines for these counties: Chelan, Ferry, King, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Pierce, Whitman.

I encourage everyone to check and see if Google maps is displaying GIS parcel lines for their area. Remember, you have to be in 'Map' view and zoomed in somewhat. By checking yourself you will find out if buyers in your area are seeing this information. And if a client calls you and asks a question about the parcel lines they see on Google maps, you now know what they are talking about.

Default Re: Parcel lines now appear in Google Maps for many areas

I've just started seeing that. You need to be zoomed in, but it clearly shows lot lines in my area.

That's the first I have heard of this. Thanks for the heads up.

that is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing with the group
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Mary DeSimone, ABR, GRI[/COLOR]
    Owner
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Real Estate Homes, LLC[/COLOR]
    Tucson Homes for Sale
    Casa Grande Homes
    Casa Grande Homes for Sale

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

You have to wonder how accurate these lines are. For the most part they seem pretty good, but things can change pretty fast in real estate.

Our MLS has a great parcel mapping program that uses local.live. It's actually amazing because the map is interactive and allows us to see closed sales, tax records, and property history directly from the map.
    Ryan A. Martin - Windermere Real Estate / Whatcom Inc.

Your Bellingham real estate professional specializing in the listing and sales of Bellingham condos. Also check out my Anacortes real estate website for information about Fidalgo Island and Anacortes, WA

Ryan,

I think the big news here is that the parcel lines that Google maps now displays in many areas are part of the info that your clients will be seeing when they look at any Google map for your area - Whatcom County - as well as many other areas in the country.

By contrast, the parcel lines that you see thru the NWMLS application are only available to NWMLS subscribers, not the general public.

Of course the Google and NWMLS parcel line data both originate from the same source: the GIS shape files maintained by county/city government.

One question is how good of a job will Google and NWMLS both do in keeping their copy of this GIS data up-to-date.

Joseph ~ I get it and I agree. Even in the NWMLS, the lot lines are off a bit.
    Ryan A. Martin - Windermere Real Estate / Whatcom Inc.

Your Bellingham real estate professional specializing in the listing and sales of Bellingham condos. Also check out my Anacortes real estate website for information about Fidalgo Island and Anacortes, WA

Interesting... Nice catch!
    [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]---[SIZE="4"]cK[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="2"]CK Chung is an independent SEO consultant who provides premium Holistic SEO services, including services specific to Real Estate SEO. You can find his alter-ego, Kid Disco, spouting off on his SEO blog at SEOdisco.[/SIZE][/FONT]

10. Default Re: Parcel lines now appear in Google Maps for many areas

Nice catch. They aren't pulling the lines for LA (Lower Alabama) yet, or North GA. I was surprised that the area North of Atlanta was not included, but I'm sure it isn't far off.
    Cal
    Gulf Shores Real Estate | Lake Lanier Real Estate | Madison MS Real Estate

The Gulfshoreslife.com Team of Keller Williams Alabama Gulf Coast serves the Baldwin County Alabama Real Estate market from The Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay to the Southern Shores of the Alabama Gulf Coast: Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan, Point Clear, Fairhope, Montrose, Daphne, Spanish Fort, AL. For more information on AL Gulf Coast Real Estate, please contact me or visit our website.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last