Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Which is better for SEO? A html or php site?

I have been told that html sites are preferred by Google. Perhaps this is because they typically contain more code, thereforemore content, keywords, links, etc. whereas a php site may call on databases more.

Is there any truth to this? Which is better and why? html or php?

Thanks

Tim Ryan

Default Re: Which is better for SEO? A html or php site?

that absolutely depends ont he structure of website. you can design better website in php and asp. that all depends on your seo consultant. if your seo consultant is good he can optimize your website pages and make them the best and friendly for search engines.

Hi Tim,

That's a good question you're asking, and it's a common misconception.

So I'll start with the difference between HTML and PHP. They don't serve the same function. PHP is a server side programming language that allows webmasters (developers) to create dynamic content, interact with databases, etc. HTML is a markup language - that is, it controls the flow of content on the client side. Most of the time, PHP serves HTML.

What this means, is a developer creates PHP code to perform a function on the server (before any information is sent to your computer). PHP is often used for content management systems, blogs, forums, etc. Anything that requires permanent data storage or to "remember" something will use PHP (or ASP, Ruby, other server side languages). HTML is what (nearly) every webpage is scripted in, to format it into tables, divs (blocks), headings, footers...

So creating a webpage in PHP vs. creating one in HTML is a misnomer of sorts. Search engines have nothing against PHP or other server side coding. What they do like is permanent pages without loads of parameters and variations on its location.

If this is still a confusing topic, PM me and I can try to explain some more on it. To learn more about HTML, PHP, and other Internet languages visit the W3 schools website. They provide great tutorials and a good overview of how they interact. For Search Engine Optimization (SEO), I recommend starting at some reputable blogs like Search Engine Journal or Search Engine Land. SEJ especially has some great starter blog posts.

Be careful when learning SEO, there is a lot of outdated or outright bad information out there that's hard to pick up on when just starting out.

Regards,

php or hrml... it doesn't matter

I agree with 2HelixTech - it doesn't really matter about the format - it depends on the content and if you are targeting Google in particular be aware Google pays most attention to your url and backlinks to your site. Don't pay for links from link farms as that is very outdated and frowned upon and don't indulge in 'I link to you, you link to me' offers as those links count for nothing.
    I hope that helps!

Why not just make it html? You can code in php and make html pages. I agree with everyone here, it depends more on how the page is designed for the SEs to read it.

PHP or ASP?

I have two highly ranked sites one of each and just wondered peoples views without starting a new thread.

Cheers

Nick
    Spanish Hot Properties making deals by putting real buyers and real sellers together.

Costa del Sol Properties
    & property for sale in Spain

incidentally, the #1 ranked site for "naples real estate" in Google is coded using php (as are several others on the first page) what does that tell you?
    Have you liked REW yet? Want good karma? Share REW with friends

I think Hypertext markup language and Hypertext Preprocessor are a good combination in order for you to achive the better result for SEO.

Think it would be a bit hard to compare the two 100% side by side because you would have to take to sites of very similar content, links and everything else to get a close comparison to see which coding style is better....dont think it would have that much of an impact (could be wrong) but think it would be hard to compare.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last