Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Default Re: Website URL best practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Kjmendy View Post
    ...I'm looking to get a new URL for a site and I was wondering what the best practice is?...
    Did you ever get around to registering a new domain?
    If so, I'm curious about what you decided to go with...

Doesn't really matter which you go for.

When creating a URL/domain name for your website, there are several to many factors to consider. Perhaps some have become a wee bit obsolete in regards to URL shortening applications, however, length is always near the top in terms of the #1 factor to consider.

Consider many scenarios in which your domain might be used: a user will have to type it out, and the longer the URL, the greater the chance of is being misspelled and your potential user/lead just got gobbled up by an AdSense placeholder webpage; another might be other mediums in which you might display your URL, ie. a business card or other medium in which space is a luxury.

In regards to number of keywords. I would advise against it. A longer URL comprised of a keyphrase would be much more suitable. Image a domain name like this: realestate-houses-homes-condos .com, with or without the hyphens. Ten out of 10 people would regard that as a spammy site, probably including Google.

Avoid hyphens/other similar characters whenever possible; although, they [hyphens] are your best alternative if you must use a delimiter.

I cannot imagine that the relevance of the domain name carries as much weight as it once might have. I have to assume that Google realizes and appreciates the fact that there are companies out there that simply snatch of any and all available URL's, making it quite difficult, if not impossible, to get a legitimately good, relevant domain name anymore. Therefore, I must assume that they have built such a condition into their algo to accommodate this.

To summarize: ultimately, a domain name will not make or break your SERP's. I mean, how many extremely high-ranking websites can any of you think of right this second that have completely irrelevant domain names, but are cleaning up in your/their market.

Put thought into it, but do not create a spammy looking URL just for the sake of getting some keywords in it... will hurt you down the road.

- Marc
    Create your real estate profile on housingblock.com, and post your listings, create a custom SEO-friendly public profile URL, add twitter functionality, and much more!

Homes for Sale | Homes for Rent

- Marc

Quote Originally Posted by dmyre View Post
    Did you ever get around to registering a new domain?
    If so, I'm curious about what you decided to go with...
    For the record I ended up going with:

www.LondonHomesandRealEstateForSale.com

Yes it's long but it hits all of the keywords I was looking for and I don't think that it looks all that spammy. It is a bit of pain for people to type to go directly to the site (which I know since I mess it up sometimes myself), but most traffic comes from people clicking on links to it.

The site is a blog and after 7 months it is ranking well and posts are showing up in SERPS (just no PR yet) so I'm happy with my choice.

Thanks for all of your initial input.

That one sure is a doosie. Not terrible by any means, but words like 'and' and 'for' are considered 'stop words', and just add characters to an already lengthy title. Would be considered "long-tail", in that it is not nearly as effective as say, "LondonHomes . com" would be.

It will play well, however, if/when somebody adds a backlink to your site but does not use any specific anchor text other than your URL/website name.

As for your comment "(just no PR yet)"... if you're showing up in the SERP's, then you have a PR. Google has halted their updates of the PR toolbar, and only makes random updates if/when they feel like it. Besides, the PR toolbar differs quite a bit from Google's internal PR tracking system... it's more just for show.

TIP: host your website on a local IP address, ie. find a host in London, ON to host your site... plays very well in terms of getting precise local, geo-targeted traffic. I mean, that's what you really want, right? You don't need to be showing up in google.it or anything like that. Highly recommended, often overlooked SEO tactic.
    Create your real estate profile on housingblock.com, and post your listings, create a custom SEO-friendly public profile URL, add twitter functionality, and much more!

Homes for Sale | Homes for Rent

- Marc

Ensure that the site that binds is optimized for mobile use. Since the user will use a smart phone to access the content, which must be optimized for mobile phones. If your website is not optimized for mobile.

Speaking as someone who has a four name domain name, I went for option one. My domain name is a phrase rather than a collection of four individual keywords, and the phrase forms both the title and main keyword for my site.
    Ozsubasi Homes have properties for sale in Altinkum Turkey. We are both builders and estate agents, please click here to see our current Altinkum Complex development, or click here to see our range of property options..

Do you have the option to go ahead and purchase all options? That may give you some flexibility and will ultimately protect your brand regardless of which option you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by TandemRealtyNashville View Post
    Do you have the option to go ahead and purchase all options? That may give you some flexibility and will ultimately protect your brand regardless of which option you choose.
    Exactly. That is what I was going to suggest. Cheap investment in the long run if you ask me.

I have 3 keywords in my domian and it is hard to get the text right sometime, it is better ot have max 2 keyword in the domain.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last