Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Real Estate Photos Photoshop

I was wondering if someone had any guides on how to photoshop real estate photos to look like the ones below or if there is any software you recommend. They almost look like they are drawings. I have seen some really nice ones, these are a few examples...

Default Re: Real Estate Photos Photoshop

No offense, but I don't like those photos at all. All the agent did was over-saturate, increase shadows, and sharpen it seems. You should be able to easily do this with Photoshop, or iPhoto/Pixelmator if on a Mac. But why?!
    Steve Castaneda, Realtor
    Keller Williams Realty

I'm a Realtor in Houston, Texas and in my spare time, I write at this blog dedicated to real estate technology for agents. I originally created this Houston Real Estate site and switched to REW - awesome decision.

This process is called HDR. HDR is a great tool to create surreal images and drastic views, but it's not for real estate. You have to make real estate photos look as natural as possible. Pictures above are called "Overcooked HDR".

Don't bother with these pictures. Make sure you take photos with a wide angle lens, make sure the house is clean and staged and that all photos look realistic. I do professional real estate photography on a side and non of my clients would ever accept the above pictures.

Here's what real estate photos should look like:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/photographyforrealestate/
    Last edited by rvolk75; 04-13-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Russell Volk, REALTORŪ
    RE/MAX Elite
    Huntingdon Valley, PA

Bucks County Real Estate | Bucks County Real Estate Blog | Doylestown, PA Real Estate

Nice link, Russell. What do camera would you recommend along with lens for someone looking to get a solid foundation in equipment for real estate photography?
    Steve Castaneda, Realtor
    Keller Williams Realty

I'm a Realtor in Houston, Texas and in my spare time, I write at this blog dedicated to real estate technology for agents. I originally created this Houston Real Estate site and switched to REW - awesome decision.

It's embarrassing to have my clients fall in love with the photos that are HDR enhanced... then I open the door to its real life drab dreariness. "Is this the right house?" Photos like that can be deceiving. Photoshop won't give you the same results, you might can play with the contrast and other colorizing somewhat with photoshop, but those photos are not photoshopped.

They are high dynamic range (HDR) images. HDR is a process whereby the photographer take up to 8 identical digital photos while on a tripod, each with different exposures and merges all of them together with software. Landscapes, the front of the home, sunsets, etc, maybe, but not every room in the house.
    Randy Watson Texas Real Estate Agent
    Mission Realty - San Antonio Texas
    www.satxproperty.com

I agree with having the photos as real and crisp as possible. There are so many real estate photos that are over done. Buyers want to see realistic images of what the house looks like and not some creative photoshop tricks.

I don't a bit of enhancement is out of line (I say a bit) on photos. Start with a good photo and other than some cropping, it shouldn't need much of anything. I agree, making photos that look like posters or cartoons may get them to the front door, but it will be a disappointment. Just some basics when photographing a house. Don't take it from the garage side - the driveway becomes the biggest "thing" in the photo. Take photos in the morning/evening and when the sun is on the front of the house. High humidity tends to make the photos fuzzy (welcome to south Florida). Take several shots from standing up to a lower and then higher vantage point. I have a digital that has a CRT that comes out and I can move it around. Some of the better shot are from prospective other then eye level. For instance, take a shot with the camera above you head (it you have a screen you can move, this works). Exterior shots, divide the photo into thirds and make sure you don't chop off one side or the other. Take one head on and then a couple of different elevations from 1/6, 1/3 around the front. Showing some of the side of the home give depth to the photo. We have it so much easier than dropping off film from years ago. Do worry if most of the photos don't work...you only need a few real good ones. And whatever you do, don't over due it with the "fish-eye" lens. No one wants rooms with curved corners.
    John Woodward, GRI, CRS
    Sarasota Real Estate Group is the first place to look to find an exceptional home in the paradise known as the Southwest Florida Gulf Coast.

I agree with Sam about realistic photos. The best photos are the ones done by a professional photographer who shoots real estate photos for a living. They have the equipment, lighting and tools needed. Let them do photos so you can do real estate. Your time is probably worth more than what you'll pay for the photos.
    The Hartanov Team, real estate agents in San Clemente.

Drew is right. If you don't have the equipment, hire someone else. Equipment that I have cost me at least $5,000 over time. When agents hire me, I only charge $200 for a set of 50 professionally edited pictures.

Steve, if you wish to invest money into photography, you will need an above average camera. I use Canon T2i. You will need a wide angle lens. Expect to pay around $700 for a lens. You will need a tripod. A good tripod with a swiveling head will cost you about $500. You will need software such as Lightroom. I prefer that over Photoshop as it's easier to use and it was made by Adobe specifically for photographers. Then I would take identical photos with different exposures and then enfuse them using LR/Enfuse, which creates an effect similar to HDR, but a lot more realistic.

Hope this helps.
    Russell Volk, REALTORŪ
    RE/MAX Elite
    Huntingdon Valley, PA

Bucks County Real Estate | Bucks County Real Estate Blog | Doylestown, PA Real Estate

I agree with make the photos look as realistic as possible and do not do this with interior photos... but sometimes I see great landscape photos that look amazing and it kind of gives you an imagination of what your garden / yard may look like.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last