Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Default Re: The Best Car for Real Estate!

I love this car conversation. I still remember a class I took at the assocation when I first started. The teacher told the class that a luxury car could determine your success in real estate and that it was important to own an expensive vehicle in the business.. I was tempted to poke the guys eyes out with my pencil!! The teacher was a real bonehead!

Knowledge and personality will absolutely win you every sale regardless of the car you drive.

I have one buyer that purchased many preconstruction condos over here in Daytona and he drives a KIA Santa Fe.. Now it is time to list some of the condos and he listed the condos for 6%. There is no way this guy would have listed these properties with me for 6% if I was driving a fancy car..

Bottom line, don't worry about your car, cause your customers don't care. If they are a second home buyer, worry about finding them a deal and impress them with your work ethic and knowledge. They might even purchase multiple properties from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kling
    Bottom line, don't worry about your car, cause your customers don't care. If they are a second home buyer, worry about finding them a deal and impress them with your work ethic and knowledge. They might even purchase multiple properties from you.
    I disagree somewhat. There are definitely people out there who do not care at all. Although, I find that many customers treat you with more respect and have a higher level of trust for your market knowledge when they percieve you as being a successful agent. You could be the most knowledgable, hard working agent out there but if you are driving an old piece of crap your customers will probably 2nd guess what you say.

I have had 4 different cars since being in real estate. My first car was a mitsubishi galant and then I went to an Infiniti. I could definitely see a big difference in the way I was treated by the customers when I went from the galant to the infiniti. I am not talking about those customers that are friends or referrals. I am talking about new business, mostly from the internet.

In my opinion, a nice car will not make up for a bad agent. If I was a new agent I would put more emphasis on having a good market knowledge and working hard over driving a nice car. But if you are an agent that already knows the market and works hard a nice car can help.

I just sold a 2nd home last week to a customer for about $450k. The wife called me about 2 months ago to tell me what they were looking to buy and when they would be in town. When speaking to her on the phone I could tell that she had a very dominant personality. She was telling me how she wanted to work and pretty much how I was going to do my job. She wanted me to pick her up at The Ritz Carlton every day to go out and look at property....yada yada yada. So the first time we met I did pick them up at the hotel for our first outing. I could tell they were initially impressed with my car. The husband has made a couple of comments and was actually thinking of buying a similar car. I think I impressed them with my market knowledge because I work frequently in this segment of the market. They really began to trust my opinions and what I had to say. With the combination of being a knowledgable, professional agent and a nicer car I pretty much was calling the shots. I never picked them up at their hotel again. They either met me in my office or at any property and they became so much more thoughtful of my time since our first meeting. Could I have sold them something with less expensive car? Sure. Did the nicer car make my job easier? Yes it did.

Again, I think it matters what segment you are working in. A nice car can make your job a little easier but is not a substitute for the basic Realtor essentials. Can you be successful selling real estate without driving a fancy, expensive car? Absolutely. One of the largest producers in my office sell mostly commercial land and drives a big, diesel truck. Will an expensive car help a lazy, unknowledgable agent? Maybe a couple of times but not over the long haul.
    Last edited by MarcinSarasota; 07-07-2006 at 02:25 AM.
    Marc Rasmussen
    Broker/Owner of DWELL Real Estate in Sarasota, Florida
    DWELL - Sarasota Real Estate

You could be the most knowledgable, hard working agent out there but if you are driving an old piece of crap your customers will probably 2nd guess what you say.
    I would never recommed driving a piece of crap in real estate. An agent should definitely drive something newer and reliable, but it does not have to be an expensive fancy vehicle.

I guess it boils down to what you feel is fancy and expensive. I'm saving for a condo on the ocean!

I'm just not a car person. With real estate always appreciating, I hate the fact that cars depreciate the moment you purchase them. In fact, if I weren't in real estate I'd probably still be driving my last car until it started to die out. Having to have a nice, newer car is just another necessary "selling tool" for me.

I do love classic cars, though. I was really in the market for an old VW bus. Not good to have in Chicago, though. And I didn't want a manual transmission, which I think all the old buses have. I always wanted a VW Thing, too. One of these days I'm going to get one of my classic favorites (wish I had kept my 1967 convertible Mustang - white with red interior & roof - now that was a sweet ride).
    Money Magazine says that Orland Park real estate is one of the best places to live in the U.S. Check out Homer Glen homes if you're interested in living in the newest Chicago suburb. Next door, Lemont homes are the priciest in the southwest suburbs and have held their value, even appreciating while prices in other areas have gone down.

Smile Re: The Best Car for Real Estate!

wow, some different opinions here, not a bad thing. My parner also drives a corvette, mine is blue and her's is black. Kinda a cool way to be parners. Ive found that some of my clients have liked the car, but then again maybe they do look at it as, well i dont think he needs our business to live. In turn is a bad thing because you cant afford to loose business in this market area.

There is no comparison between spending your money on real estate or a car. Real estate is usually always the smart move. Fortunately, I bought properties years ago before the boom so I have my priorities straight.

Cars are not investments and not a good place to spend money but I think this business is easier with a nice car. I also find myself getting happy when I need to drive somewhere since my car fun to drive.
    Marc Rasmussen
    Broker/Owner of DWELL Real Estate in Sarasota, Florida
    DWELL - Sarasota Real Estate

I was going to stay out of this discussion, but alas I can't

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here:

Nice Car = Perceived Success
    Ugly Car = Can be a detriment

Experience = Makes the sale

IMO, if you have a clean professional appearance, clean car (doesn't have to be a Mercedes), postive outlook and knowledgeable about your profession, you will be successful. The car does not make the sale.

I have 4 cars: 2 vettes and 2 suv's. I can't drive customers around in my vettes unless there is only one of them. I use the suv. It's an older model (98) and I am not about to buy a new one because I am afraid potential customers will perceive me as being unsuccessful.

I pride myself on being able to read people well. If I 'read' that a customer is dissatisfied with the vehicle I will be showing them properties in, I drop a comment pertaining to why we are in the suv: dirt roads, pot holes, the fact that we can only fit 2 people in my other car so which one of them would like to stay home .

But to me the bottom line is my personality. If they like me, and I make a good impression they will become customers.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by jessiesc; 07-09-2006 at 09:58 AM.
    Your source for buying Panama City Beach Homes for Sale. Visit us if you need to purchase or sell residential or commercial Panama City Beach Real Estate. Our licensed experts know the ins and outs of the Panama City Beach Condo market to help with all your investment and vacation needs.

IMO, your vehicle, not unlike your choice of clothing, should blend not offend.

blue jeans is best for showing property, it draws attention from you to the house! well maybe not.. haha

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C that is loaded up with everything. When deciding what car to get, I wanted something that
    -was high quality, but not too flashy
    - had an excellent ride and a very quiet interior
    - 4 doors and decent leg room in the back
    - big trunk for my open house signs
    - fast (this is for me, not clients)

The 300C met my needs and clients are very impressed with it. It subtly tells them that I am successful at what I do and it gives them a sense of confidence when dealing with me. The navigation is also a great tool when driving clients around to see houses.

It also is a great source of conversation - navigation, Hemi engine, dvd, Sirius radio, etc. Whenever I get a client who is into cars and shows an interest in my car, I always give them a peek under the hood.

Looking for Real Estate in Florida? You've come to the right place - [COLOR=RoyalBlue]www.TampaBayHotProperties.com[/COLOR]

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last