Can an SEO sell his house faster than his Realtor?
I have done some crazy things in my days as a web developer to test theories, or prove points, but I think this one will probably take the cake.
I have decided to try to test online traffic generation vs traditional real estate marketing in order to prove to my Realtor and friend how effective the internet can be as a sales tool. We have what some might call a small wager going - a bet if you will:
I think I can sell a house (Without any prior real estate sales experience or training) using internet marketing tactics faster than he can sell a house using his traditional methods of advertising.
And in order to make this thing happen, I am putting up my house
I am going to attempt to sell my house faster than my Realtor
- I have to put my house up for sale and list it with my friend and Realtor Michael Peterson.
- Michael is only allowed to use his usual (Traditional) methods of advertising and SOI to sell my house. (Defined below)
- I am only allowed to use my online strategies and SOI to sell my house (Defined below)
If I sell my house faster than my Realtor he agrees to:
- Clean my house for the nice new owners in the outfit of my choice and pose for a photo op for my personal collection (Photos will be posted to my blog)
- Donate $500 of his commission to the charity of my choice
If my Realtor can sell the house faster than I can, I agree to:
- Clean my house for the nice new owners in the outfit of HIS choice (Photos will be posted on his website)
- Donate $500 to the charity of his choice.
The Point: There are many points, but here are a few good ones
- To compare the effectiveness of online lead generation vs traditional real estate marketing tactics.
- To win a bet - yes I am that competitive.
- To participate in something really fun that benefits charity
- To see Michael clean my house in a funny outfit - that's right buddy, I am not going to lose.
How I will be generating traffic for my listing:
One of the most important things I teach people in the forums about internet marketing, is that is as much about relationships and networking as it is about generating links, getting exposure on websites - so in addition to submitting my listing to as many places online as possible, generating interest through articles and blogs, RSS syndication, submitting press releases and email marketing, I will be relying on the help of all my great friends online (My internet SOI "sphere of influence") in order to help spread the word through send to a friend emails, Digging this post and others, reaching out to their own SOI anything to spread the word.
As my list of websites and tactics for selling this home increases I will be updating this blog often, so please stop by regularly - or if you would like to keep up to date right from your own website or through a reader, be sure to grab my RSS feed.
The fine print: (You probably have some questions by now)
I am not a licensed Realtor, and obviously cannot sell my own home - so to win this contest, I actually have to generate the "lead" or "buyer" that ends up purchasing my home through Michael. I will be passing the leads I generate onto Michael to follow up with, and he will be handling all facets of the actual transaction, including showings, contracts and paperwork etc. I will of course have very detailed tracking of the leads I generate so that when I win (And win I shall) I can verify my victory.