Connect With Leads Instantly Using AdWords Message Extensions
Message extensions are a new feature in AdWords that allows users viewing your ads on mobile devices to send your business a text message. Users simply click the message icon on your ad and the messaging app in their mobile phone will be populated with a pre-scripted text that is ready to send!
In today’s mobile-first world, message extensions are a convenient and efficient way for users to initiate conversations with real estate agents on their own time. They can be used by individual agents, brokerages that have an ISA, or brokerages using a 3rd party messaging platform to connect with clients, share listing information, schedule appointments, and more.
Benefits of message extensions include:
- Receive leads who are ready to engage
- Connect with a younger audience
- Communicate with leads on their own time
- Capture accurate contact information
According to a Google Consumer Survey, “65% of consumers say they’d consider using messaging to connect with a business to get information about a product or service, or to schedule an in-person appointment”.*
These extensions can be set up at either the campaign level or ad group level. For a more personalized approach, set up your extensions at the ad group level so that you can customize each extension specifically to that group (ie. Include the area name and property type in the scripted message). This will give you a leg-up by providing essential information about what the client is looking for and allow you to track the performance of individual extensions.
There is no additional cost for these extensions. Advertisers are charged just like a regular click on their ad.
How to set up an message extension:
1. Navigate to the Ad extension tab
2. Choose “Message extension” from the drop-down menu.
3. Click the “+ Extension” button
4. Click the “+ New message extension” button
5. Fill out the fields and click ”save”
6. Click “save” again
Google is not setup to track conversions from message extensions so leads will come directly to your phone. You can create your own tracking system, manually input leads into your CRM, or use a separate number exclusively for these extensions.
- Ensure you’ve chosen a cellular number as Message Extensions are mobile-exclusive.
- Setup text that populates the message app and customize for each ad group.
- Schedule extensions for days/times when you will be able to respond. If you schedule extensions to run 24/7 ensure you have an auto-responder setup for times you are unavailable.
- Setup a tracking system that works for you and your business.
Over the last 30 days, I’ve tracked the results of Message Extensions in 6 campaigns in markets across Canada and the USA. From this sample, the data indicates that the click through rate (CTR) is 60.70% higher than all other sitelinks. As well, the costs per lead are in-line with each campaigns lifetime average.
Try creating your own message extensions or ask your REW PPC Specialist to add them to your campaign!
*Google Consumer Surveys, US, Canada, UK, Australia, October 2016, Base: Respondents who own a smartphone and use it to access the Internet (n = 1,036 in US, n = 1,032 in UK, n = 489 in Canada, n = 485 in Australia)