Building a "power IDX" search what are the best search options

Selfishly, I’m asking this question for my wife’s site www.carlycarey.com but also doing research for the next version of our IDX (yes we’re building a new site and yes it’s awesome!)

My question is a big one: What are the best search options, how should they be displayed and how should they best be organized.

What I mean by this is the following:

Our current site / IDX has 2+ baths, 3+ baths etc. But is this ideal? Or should we have 2, 2.25, 2.5 etc and should it be a between 1 and 3? (is there such a thing as “too many” bathrooms?

Property size: Same thing! Right now it’s 1000+ 2000+ etc but really I think this should “between” x and y. Would make it far more functional.

Property types: Right now we can only select one at a time. This makes sense when it’s residential vs commercial, but not so much when we’re talking “condo” vs “townhome” lots of folks would like both. Clearly this should be multi select no?

What are your thoughts? For the next IDX power search, what do you think should be added? What can be changed / improved? @LauraMonroe and @Aayaam this should be a great topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this is a great topic! We have an amazing search experience on the current REW platform already, but if I were to pull up an awesome custom IDX example, it’s HawaiiLife.com It’s a simple clean design with easy buttons to check and a sliding scale- even the visual transitions to grid, to sort etc flow nicely. Obviously they have done a TON of customizing specific to their brokerage, but the functions and ease of use allow visitors to have a remarkable visual experience while searching.

Thanks for the share Laura. I’m actually talking even “before” design, more of a usability thing. I agree Hawaii Life has a nice “design” but in actually using it (just like REW, I’m calling us out as well) I find that for a “power search” (imagine you REALLY know what you want) it’s lacking in the very same ways.

If I look at your screen for HL, I notice the same frustrations I have on Carly’s site.

What if I want more than 1,500 but not more than 2,500 sq ft of living space? (the search only has x+)

And what if I want 2 OR 3 (but definitely not 4 or 5) bedrooms?

Do you see what I mean?

Things I do like usability wise on that screen:
Price from and too
Typle (multi select)
Keyword search (though I’d like to know specifically what it searches in the DB)

1 Like

Well, I’m no expert, and certainly data is challenging to get to perfection. But, in that sense- this is where natural language/voice search and AI is making huge strides. Until then, the more hyper local specific the better. I love the sliding scales for pricing and beds/baths.

With HawaiiLife’s keyword search for example- many folks look for “outdoor showers”, or “lanai”, the ability to use very specific terms to drill down into unique property details. It’s what sets search apart from the portals.

I’d like my clients to be able to search like a Realtor. Searches I often use:

Map polygon or search as you move.
Price
Beds
Baths
Style (2 storey, split entry, bungalow etc)
Type (detached, semi detached, apartment, townhouse)
Square footage
Garage Yes/No
Waterfront Yes/No