Form SPAM / Registration Spam

Is anyone else battling a bunch of inquiry spam? Mainly all out of the country “get website visitors” crap. Seems to be more on the contact page then the registration page. Thinking of eliminating the contact form?

2 Likes

Yes, I get multiple spam registrations every week. I’ve been intending to contact Support to inquire about a resolution, but haven’t yet.

1 Like

Yes, I am getting a bunch of spam. Was told to move to forced registration which I have done and getting about the same if not more spam. I am getting no leads at all and only spam. Very frustrating and wish is was the other way around. Left a message last week as my account manager keeps changing and apparently does not work at REW any longer. Have not heard back from anyone regarding lack of leads and high spam.

1 Like

This only started about 6 months ago and it appears to be mainly from the Contact Us form. I have those forms on all kinds of other websites and don’t get these spam inquiries. This is a REW issue that needs to be addressed.

Our default form snippets have some html code to help combat form spam. Depending on the REW CRM framework version you are running the technique used will be slightly different. For obvious reasons I will not be posting the techniques here but if you contact our support department they can look into your snippets for you to determine the cause.

There could be a number of reasons for this to not work right but keep in mind no technique is truly 100% effective unless you add a form of CAPTCHA. For example since the form snippets are editable they sometimes get customized by clients and that could break the technique. Other times a client gets a framework upgrade but keeps their old form rather than changing the new stock form. These are just a couple of reasons.

2 Likes

I have a Vision and a Discover sites currently live. The Vision gets ZERO spam, while the Discover is getting a ridiculous amount of spam - and that url (which had the same content, same ‘contact us’ forms) was previously on a 2013 LEC and never got any spam either. To my untrained eye, this seems to be a Discover issue and one that would hopefully be resolved without having to resort to customization.

Hi @Maui - We do have some latest and greatest spam protection code that we could apply to your discover site. As your site is custom we would have to add it in a custom project. I will prepare some options and have your account manager reach out.

Thanks!

Aaron, no need to have my PC reach out to me, I’ll send an estimate request for exactly what I need. But I do think that you missed my point: out of the box (since we switched to Discover), the Discover site has been much much more prone to spam than others.

Our site does not have any custom work so that makes no sense any of the work done is just basic work that’s available in the back end that we done ourselves so a custom project to eliminate a problem that other sites do not have makes no sense at all

Hi - Yes that is true. Have you spoken with our support department regarding the spam lead challenge?

Thanks!

I gotta say, I don’t agree with this. Unless the contact forms themselves are customized (totally different story) then if there is a known code to help with this it should be applied to everyone, should not have to even ask.

Am I understanding correctly that there is a known issue and there is code known to fix it? If so, let’s get chatting to support about getting this done for everyone (though it also sounds like it is not everyone)

1 Like

I have not seen a spam form lead since they applied it. Glad we posted this and got the conversation going. Support was telling some people nothing they can do. I have tons of forms on other websites with no issues like we were having. We will report it if it starts again. It was really bad. Sometimes 4-5 a day.

1 Like

Hi @Morgan! That would be fantastic. I’ve been working with the teams to get the spam protection code hardened up. It seems to hold up fairly well now, from our tests. There is one more challenge that’s on the registration form that a fix is coming in the next update. The solution we use is non-obtrusive to the users and doesn’t require that CAPTCHA. @Maui’s site has customized so it wasn’t receiving the updates. I will investigate and if appropriate apply the code. We have been applying the anti-spam code to many sites. I would love to help get REW CRM customers sites protected from the spam bots.

Thanks!

@Lana23

Hi Lana - I applied some spam protection code to your contact forms a few days ago, so that seems to have helped for the contact forms spam leads. The fix for the registration form is coming in the next update - but if you start getting spam leads from the registration form then let us know please .

Thanks!

@ellisstgeorge

Hi David! I checked your site and it looks like you just switched over to the new Vision Hybrid Map Search Site, which has brought the spam leads fixed with it. So that’s great! If you notice any more spam leads from contact forms please lets us know. Preferably, email or a call to our support department. Thanks!

I know this is going to sound dumb. What is the contact page vs the registration page? :slight_smile:

Hi @Greg,

The REW sites come with a handful of contact form snippets ( #form-contact#, #form-buyers#, #form-sellers# are the main ones). You can place these snippets on any content page. So those are the contact form ones. The Registration is the IDX registration form. These forms are processed slightly different in the code but both methods will effectively “register” a lead. One way you will be able to tell which form the lead filled out from the visits page for the lead in the CRM. Hope that helps! Thanks!

We also have a lot more SPAM now. It came after we switched to Discover, but wasn’t at the exact time we switched. We continue to see more and more though so would love any fix that decreases the amt of spam while not discouraging leads. Thanks!

Hi @jessfeaster

I took a look and added the spam protection code to the contact form snippets. This will help prevent the spam leads from those contact form snippets. If you are getting them from the registration form, a patch is coming for that but if you are getting inundated with them from the register form please let us know.

Thanks!

Thank you! It looks like they are coming in via a contact form so we’ll let you know if we continue to get a lot of spam after you put in this fix.

1 Like